Dawki is a small town located in the Indian state of Meghalaya, in the district of East Jaintia Hills. It is situated on the border with Bangladesh and is known for its beautiful natural landscapes and crystal-clear waters of the Umngot River. It is a popular tourist destination and is known for its picturesque boat rides, trekking, and rock climbing opportunities. It is also famous for its annual boat race which is held on the Umngot River.
Dawki is known for its natural beauty and the crystal-clear waters of the Umngot River. Here are some fun things to do in Dawki:
- Enjoy a boat ride on the Umngot River: The river is known for its clear waters and visitors can take a boat ride to enjoy the scenic beauty of the area.
- Trekking: The area around Dawki is known for its natural beauty and visitors can go for a trek to explore the area.
- Rock Climbing: The rocky terrain around Dawki makes it an ideal spot for rock climbing.
- Visit the Tamabil-Dawki border: The Tamabil-Dawki border is a popular tourist spot, and visitors can see the border fence and watch the border guards in action.
- Attend the annual boat race: Dawki is famous for its annual boat race which is held on the Umngot River. Visitors can witness the colorful boats and the excitement of the race.
- Visit the Jaflong waterfall: it is a popular tourist spot and is located around 80 km from Dawki. It is a beautiful waterfall cascading from the hills of Meghalaya.
- Visit the living root bridge: The living root bridge is a unique feature of the area and it is made of the roots of rubber trees. It is a must-see attraction in Dawki.
- Visit the Khasi Heritage Village: The Khasi Heritage Village is a cultural village showcasing the customs and traditions of the Khasi tribe.
Here are several ways to get there:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Dawki is the Umroi Airport, located in Shillong, which is about 60 km away. From there, you can take a taxi or a bus to Dawki.
- By Bus: Dawki is well-connected by road, and there are regular bus services from major cities in Meghalaya and nearby states such as Assam, and West Bengal.
- By train: The nearest railway station is Guwahati railway station which is about 150 km from Dawki. From there, you can take a taxi or a bus to Dawki.
- By Car: If you’re driving from Shillong, take National Highway 40 and then take the left turn towards Jowai. From Jowai, take a left turn towards Dawki, it will take around 2-3 hours.
Picnic areas may be found close to the river, and a bridge that crosses the Umngot provides amazing views and photo opportunities.
In Dawki, Shnongpdeng, and the adjacent surroundings, there are many reputable resorts and campgrounds. Make sure that all of your water activities are carried out under competent supervision and with the appropriate safety equipment.
The best time to visit Dawki, Meghalaya, India is during the months of October to May, when the weather is pleasant and conducive for tourism activities. During these months, the temperature is mild and the sky is clear, making it perfect for sightseeing and outdoor activities. The monsoon season in Dawki is from June to September, during which the area receives heavy rainfall, which may make it difficult to move around and enjoy activities.
However, in terms of the annual boat race, it is held in the month of March, so if you want to attend the boat race, that would be the best time to visit Dawki.
The weather and temperature may vary depending on the year, it’s always better to check the forecast and plan your trip accordingly.
The distance and time may vary depending on the mode of transportation and traffic conditions. It’s always better to check with the local authorities and tour operators before planning your trip.
Please note that while these are popular activities in Dawki, the availability and accessibility of these activities It’s always better to check with the local authorities and tour operators before planning your trip.